Wednesday, December 26, 2007


Dorney Wetlands

I got down to the wetlands fairly early. For once, I carefully scanned the flock of golden plover on the long island; and I'm glad I did because right on the tip, a little apart from the flock, was a grey plover.

Then some more golden plover arrived and with all the shuffling about, the grey became incorporated into the flock, with no animosity from the goldens.

Just before twelve, the whole flock of golden plover went up - and the grey went with them.

As I walked back, two men pointed out a couple of bramblings and several siskins in the alders. One of them told me that he'd seen loads of bramblings and a merlin on Slough Sewage Farm in 1946! Further along in Bucks, a water rail was trilling from the reeds. It then swam briefly into view, to the delight of a group of us on the bank.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Good find Christine. On my way back I saw a Lesser Redpoll feeding on the weeds around the carpark. Crossed the road and then over the next bridge over the Jubilee River and scanned the stubble field. Found a lare flock of mainly Chaffinches and Linnet, but it did include 10+ Brambling. Would have swapped these for a Grey Plover. I will now never take the Golden Plover flock for granted again and always scan them. Visited Dorney Wetlands again after seeing your report but no Golden Plover to be seen!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?