Thursday, February 23, 2012


Burnham Beeches

Late afternoon, I had about an hour for a walk in the darkening woods; and just on impulse I followed a different route. Hearing a distant drumming I walked towards the sound; but some crows in the tree-tops were making odd chattering noises and I thought at first I'd been mistaken.

Then I heard different, soft tap-tapping sounds; and there above me was a female lesser spotted woodpecker, fairly high and very active. I watched her foraging for some time.


From somewhere behind me I heard the drumming again. It was a quietish, brittle sound, repeated after a pause; but the most remarkable thing about it was how much longer in duration it was than the great spotted woodpecker's drum.

The female stopped foraging every now and then as though to listen. Let's hope it was a male and they're an item! This was only the second time I've got onto this species by sound, so it was a doubly welcome experience - even though I failed to see the drummer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?