Saturday, February 11, 2012


On our approach to Terminal 5 at Heathrow this morning we saw a group of people near the roundabout with tripods and optics. Naturally my antennae went up and I looked wildly around for a crane or something while Greger nervously watched the road; but of course they were plane-spotters, not birders. (Der - the proximity of the airport might have been a clue.)

With the rest of the day to myself where could I go but Dorney, where so much is happening? Goosanders had been reported and there were four fishing just below the weir. I stood there for ages getting loads and loads of rubbish pictures and also getting frozen stiff. Plus, I stepped in dog poo, but it wasn't a day to get annoyed about trivial things. Here's a record shot ("record shot" being birderese for "crap photo but I'm going to inflict it on you anyway").

On the path down to the common I had good views of a Cetti's warbler which once again was making its way along the opposite bank and not caring who knew it. (I unilaterally declare Dorney to be the local hotspot for seeing these birds.)

Walking back I saw a water rail on the far side of the river walking carefully on the ice in front of the reeds. Quite a number of birds were foraging on the north bank. Too far for the camera really, but here's a novelty shot of a lapwing, two golden plovers, a fieldfare and a snipe.


In the golden evening sun the wetlands looked beautiful. Anything seemed possible, and I left reluctantly.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?