Thursday, March 29, 2012


On a brisk morning walk, I was treated yet again to a Cetti's warbler singing from the tree. Instead of flying straight down into cover, he remained sitting on the branch for some time. Enjoying the sun, perhaps.

Through a chaffinch's loud chattering came the sweeter song of a willow warbler, probably my earliest ever.

In fact I was nearly impaled on a willow warbler's bill. Two small birds (probably both willow warblers) came hurtling towards me, only swerving at the last moment to pass within inches of my head. Fortunately they have incredibly fast reflexes; but what struck me (in a manner of speaking) was how this tiny bird, although newly-arrived after an immense journey, is already singing and fighting!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?