Friday, July 27, 2012


Dorney

I walked to East Marsh on the wetlands and stood amid the rubbish by the bridge to scan the islands. An Environment Agency truck came along and two men got out. I heard one say fairly unconcernedly "Looks like some kids have been in swimming and left their socks there." Their socks? What about all the other trash strewn about the place?! They made it sound like something cute.

Muttering like the mad old cow I've become, I walked round behind the vehicle enclosure and immediately calmed down; because a Brown Hawker dragonfly zoomed across in front of me and then landed on my leg to eat the fly it had just caught.


The common flood was taken over by black-headed gulls, while the Eton Wick flood held at least four Egyptian geese and these two shovelers.


This snazzy caterpillar was feeding on Ragwort; apparently it's the larva of the Cinnabar Moth.


A kingfisher on the boardwalk provided a nice end to a hot and dusty walk.


I'm still angry about the rubbish along the Jubilee river. At best it's unsightly; at worst the plastic bottles floating (out of my reach I'm afraid) on the water are potentially harmful to wildlife.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?