Monday, July 16, 2012


Greger's gone to B and Q (is he going to do some DIY???) and I've finished all the admin. The floods at Dorney (seen beyond the Roundmoor Ditch stream) are quite exciting and I intend to try and get out there at dawn at some point if waders are returning. It's a pity the two floods don't meet across the stream, which would keep dog-walkers away for a while.


A few more pics from Scottish trip: This has to be the scruffiest, maddest looking sheep I've ever seen up a mountain. It was near the summit of Sail Gorm on Quinag. I'd seen a black-faced sheep first, lying on its front with its head on the ground as though it was dead. Then it lifted its head and started to graze. Meanwhile an unpromising heap of matted wool to its left suddenly heaved upwards and materialised into this nutcase.

Perhaps they've evaded capture and gone feral, their unshorn fleeces becoming so heavy that they don't move about more than is necessary. 


I like shots with several species in, and that's my excuse for including this one of razorbill, kittiwake and black-throated diver.


A red-throated diver relocates. When you see how far back their legs are set it's no wonder they're awkward on dry land.


No excuse needed for another shot of black-throated divers.


I love red-throats for their grace, up-tilted head, delicate bill, and the red throat as it catches the sun. I love black-throats for their mystery and their haunting calls, and for making the most of black and white and grey.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?