Friday, October 12, 2012


"Men" behaving badly

I have a headache and the beginnings of a cold today, so I've been surfing the birding net; and on the Fat Birder website, under the heading Twitcher's [presumably just one, then] Dictionary, I was startled to find this entry:

Old badger - a rough, ugly and well-used female birder.

Further down the list is:

Tart's tick.

The definition here is a bit muddled but I think it means an easy tick that "even" a woman could get. I've seen discussions on web forums, in which birders attempt to deny that this term is sexist and point out that men can also be called tarts. Hmm. Anyway, here they clearly assume the sexist definition because they add:

It also displays the misogyny of many twitchers who are stuck in a time warp where persons of the female gender are seen as sex objects only.

(Editing this post in 2015, I think I'll give up trying to compose a suitable response and just let it stand without further comment.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?