Friday, December 21, 2012


Winter warblers

The temporary Eton Wick pool and the Roundmoor Ditch have again become one. Four gadwall at midday gave me another "flood tick".


While I watched this Cetti's warbler foraging, a second was singing somewhere to my left and a third was singing somewhere to my right.


The Cetti's slipped back into the undergrowth, and a blackcap (a nice female) emerged instead.


There were at least two "regular" collybita chiffchaffs. This greyish one was in view for a few seconds; there seems to be a hint of yellow on the flanks, so probably not tristis. An abietinus has also been seen here, just to confuse me further; and this could be it.


I think this is the first picture I've ever taken of a robin. Anyway, I liked it against the backdrop of the flood and it is seasonal after all.


This was a smashing half-hour or so of birding snatched while I was on my way to buy some turkey foil, in bright sunshine which made up for yesterday's dismal conditions. Greger has a cold and I think I'm getting it, but a day like today makes me not care too much.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?