Monday, March 11, 2013


The Met Office warned that temperatures around freezing today would feel more like minus seven degrees Celsius with the wind chill.

I walked down to the floods from Lake End Road and the northeast wind was certainly biting.  I'm relieved to say I saw no summer migrants; I'm not sure they can survive such a bitter spell after their long journeys, especially if it's a prolonged one. (Pleeeese not!)

Two waxwings were still near the junction of paths, but I could see no sign of the common sandpiper. Driving home, I was coming up Boundary Road into the village when a branch fell across the road. A woman coming towards me was closer to it but managed to brake. I got out and helped her to pull the branch into the side of the road, but we had to leave it lying there because it was too awkward and heavy to lift up onto the bank. A few cars had built up behind us both, but no one got out to help. I s'pose they thought it was our problem.

The nuthatch, seemingly in pensive mood, was snapped through Greger's office window. 
   

Looking from our bedroom window across the Thames Valley, I thought I could see more detail than usual in the misty distance; then I realised that it was snow, defining the fields on otherwise wooded hills. I've been studying the OS map but although I can get the general direction it's impossible to say how far away this is. Probably not as far as I think; they could be the fields and woods of Runnymede.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?