Thursday, March 21, 2013


I got down to the wetlands early to check for last night's waders. Two redshanks and a common sandpiper were on East Marsh. There was no sign of the dunlin, but a plover was again on one of the islands. I still couldn't see a yellow eye ring or any white above the black forehead; but it seemed to have the build and the jizz of a little ringed plover.


Then I spotted another small plover. I got just one shot of the second bird, which was more wary than the first and flew off downstream. This was a definite little ringed plover as it showed no wing bars. 


Unfortunately, I probably flushed the plover(s) off-site. I had already spent half an hour breaking my back using the unflooded hide/screen to watch and photograph the original bird; but in the end I gave up, walked further downstream and went out onto the grassy bank, keeping as close to the hawthorns as I could.

A green sandpiper was on the Eton Wick flood. It was a lovely morning, but we have work on at the moment so I had to tear myself away.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?