Sunday, March 17, 2013


I couldn't make up my mind what to do this morning; then I saw that a Mediterranean gull had been reported by a Bucks birder in Taplow. Should I twitch? Well, it would save getting the car out as I could walk to it. 

The rain started to fall as I approached the big waterlogged field and it was hard work scanning with bins over the hedge. Some gulls had flown onto the rugby pitch so I crossed the soggy dog-walking hollow to scan those as well.

Walking back up into the village I decided to take the footpaths that bring you out near the pub. Glad I did. Because way down the horse field near the gate there were more gulls feeding, and among them was a very distinctive gull with a substantial, velvety black hood. Even at that distance it stood out. 


Something put the gulls up, but most just circled and went down again.



However the Med gull, with a few commons and black-headeds, flew up to my end of the field. As the rain began to drizzle down again I got a slightly better shot and then went home.


A Taplow tick and indeed a life tick; and an enjoyable twitch because it wasn't too easy. I had to work for it. This handsome gull was still in the horse field west of Boundary Road when I left.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?