Tuesday, April 23, 2013


Wherever you walk in our garden clouds of tiny, long-legged flies rise from the plants. Some are winter gnats (one of which I snapped recently); a second species was probably a midge; and this one (I think) is different again, although I can't give it a name yet.  


This Gooden's nomad bee has appeared a day or two after the first mining bees. It will seek out their nests and lay its egg next to the host's egg, just like a cuckoo. Or perhaps it's more correct to say that cuckoos are like them. Which came first?


A brief walk in the corner of the common brought a willow warbler, several chiffchaffs, and two blackcaps - all singing. Two swifts were again above Dorney Lake's grounds, moving off towards the river. I didn't stay out long because I didn't feel well.  Typical, just as the good weather arrives. However I did paint one side of a door this morning.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?