Thursday, April 18, 2013


The long-tailed tit was snapped at Dorney Wetlands two days ago, busy around its cobwebby larder. Later: It could be collecting sticky cobwebs for its nest-making.


A tree bumblebee and a peacock butterfly were also seen.

Five wheatears were on the southern flank of Monument Hill.


This tiny fly couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 mm in length. I took a couple of pictures without much hope, but amazingly Greger's camera caught it quite well. It's a winter gnat (Trichocera hiemalis). I could see no details at the time (even with my specs) so without the photo I would never have been able to identify it. A first for the garden.


This morning I ventured to Dorney Lakes in the very strong wind. It was worth it for a hirundine fix. A sizeable flock was hunting both high and low, and consisted of swallows, house martins and sand martins.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?