Sunday, April 07, 2013


Floods at Blewbury Down

When I googled the above phrase I got an exact match. A photograph of the floods taken in January appears here: geography.org.uk/photo/3315718 (with the usual prefix).

The photographer posts under the name of Fly, and Fly also gives the following interesting information:

"The chalk aquifer which feeds the River Pang has become saturated, causing the groundwater to rise in many springs and pools. This northern headstream of the Pang seldom appears above ground."

In that case, I'll post a few more pics (although Greger was more interested in a nearby tractor).


He said he couldn't understand why the driver was using such a narrow harrow. Then he saw that he was harrowing without having previously ploughed, which makes it a heavier task. This apparently is becoming more common and is better for the soil compared to ploughing, which turns the soil over completely but can destroy vital nutrients.




I'm not going out today. Yesterday was one of those days that was so brilliant that I feel I have to stay in as a sort of penance. Anyway, I've got a headache.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?