Sunday, April 21, 2013


Round and about

I was chuffed to get a new garden species this lovely morning with a small tortoiseshell butterfly, feeding on the heather and sunning itself on the lawn.


There were three wheatears on the common.

In the car park at Boveney were two chiffchaffs (one giving an insect to the other) and a male blackcap. Driving away, I glimpsed the familiar sickle shape of a swift above and braked sharply. This is one of at least two, hunting over the tree-tops with hirundines and all drifting away towards Dorney Lake until I lost sight of them.  


Two redshanks were on the Jubilee River near Taplow Lake; I'm not saying it's the first time they've been there, but it's the furthest upstream that I've seen them.


As I walked away two swallows came over chattering in a fast, particular way; and beyond the trees and soon out of sight, another sickle shape went flying past towards Taplow Lake. I can't be sure, but I think it was a hobby.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?