Monday, July 29, 2013


Six godwits and five egrets

A late afternoon visit to the flood brought six black-tailed godwits, which had been seen by another birder about an hour earlier. I wish I could remember not to look at the bird sites so that what I see at the flood comes as a surprise; but my ever-clicking mouse finger just carries on clicking. Here's a record shot of the six.


And in fact there was a nice surprise, in the form of five little egrets. Lost amongst the gulls they went unnoticed by me for a worryingly long time. Here are four of the five.


Eventually the egrets took off and flew southwards and I left too, being hemmed in by approaching cattle and looming black clouds.

I note that the little egret is one of those species on Berks birds' list, reports of which are not published during the breeding season; but little egrets don't breed here, and these were clearly just passing through.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?