Thursday, November 07, 2013


Bucks bramblings

There was a showing of our house this morning so Greger and I went to Windsor and did some shopping. A second one this afternoon sent us out again, and I paid my first visit this autumn to Burnham Beeches. 

The copper beech at home is nutting this year; it produces nuts every other year, and Burnham Beeches' trees have always seemed to be the same. I hoped it would therefore be a good year for bramblings, and sure enough there were several in Dorney Wood with a biggish chaffinch flock; many redwings were present too. Today, the bramblings were feeding mostly on berries.  



There were more bramblings in the Beeches, but I didn't go far. I'd forgotten that three o'clock in the afternoon at this time of year is already too late for the woods. It was growing dark and besides, too many leaves were still on the trees to hunt properly for lesser spotted woodpeckers.

Add to this the fact that it was extremely wet and muddy underfoot, and you have one dreary outing. Thank goodness for the lovely bramblings.  (I have to type the name of this species at least twice before it's accepted. They keep insisting I mean "ramblings". I know what I blooming well mean!)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?