Monday, January 20, 2014


A lesser spotted woodpecker at last!

With limited time and a target bird in mind, I sped up to Dorney Wood and decided to stay around the same small area instead of trying to cover a lot of ground. There were loads of birds in my chosen location (including great spotted woodpecker), but no lesser. Then - as I started to walk back to the car, a small, markedly black-and-white bird flew towards me through the trees just above eye-level, and proceeded to forage fairly low down.





Although constantly bullied by the great spotted woodpecker, she refused to be chased away completely; in fact she seemed more interested in the distant sound of what was probably a second lesser-spotted woodpecker. But I couldn't hang around to find out!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?