Friday, January 17, 2014


Dorney

A midday visit to the floods brought ten shelduck. There were easily a couple of hundred lapwings, most of them at the far end of the common flood. Then came the magical fluting of golden plover and a large flock appeared high overhead.


I'm afraid my delight at being in the company of these lovely birds was tempered by the knowledge that I could well be preventing them from landing; at one point they came very low and flew past me slowly. I'm almost sure they were checking me out; at any rate, they didn't land.


I took the hint and started to leave - only to be stopped in my tracks by the sight of a water rail foraging along the edge of sunlit reeds in the Roundmoor Ditch.



Back at the car park in Lake End Road I saw the plovers again, looking as though they'd just gone up from somewhere downstream of the bridge. They scattered and regrouped and scattered again, seeming undecided about where to go. I firmly got into the car and went home.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?