Sunday, February 02, 2014


Today I went what Greger calls "off piste" up the woods, and consequently found a little group of wild cherry trees I'd never seen before. Also known as gean or bird cherry.


They are striking trees, their smooth dark bark patterned with horizontal pores known as lenticels (learnt from various websites).


A bullfinch was seen briefly and photographed badly. 


Likewise this brambling, one of at least two feeding with chaffinches on the ground. I had flushed them all up into the trees, but as I walked away they were already dropping down again.


I enjoyed my walk but there was no tiny woodpecker to gladden the heart today. A raven was calling from somewhere nearby, evidently in flight, but it failed to materialise in the few patches of sky I could actually see!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?