Saturday, March 29, 2014


Dorney

I was up early but Greger had beaten me; unable to sleep after about 4 am he'd already had a coffee. We spent the morning sorting out cupboards and he went off to the tip, and to Homebase to buy some packing boxes. By lunchtime the sun was calling us out, so mid-afternoon he went off for an exercise walk and I went down to the Jubilee River.

Five little egrets were on the diminishing common flood. I took this pic of four of them from the gate, looking into the sun.  



A little ringed plover was on the far side of the Eton Wick flood. Fortunately it flew to the near shore and I was able to get some recognisable shots; even so they're cropped as much as possible. This is such a tiny wader!



Two redshanks and a green sandpiper were also present.

Another LRP was on East Marsh, being dive-bombed by a displaying lapwing. At least, I'm pretty sure it was a separate individual, the breast band appearing slightly different. Perhaps this was a female while the flood bird was a male.


On the same island a Mandarin drake was preening in the company of mallards.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?