Tuesday, July 01, 2014


Monday June 30th

This was the view this morning - a steely, still mist being the price for losing at last that awful cold east wind. You wouldn't know it but there's a bit of an ocean out there, a fish farm, cliffs, a mountain.....


Greger came back to the chalet early evening and suggested a drive up to Knockan. As we drove off, he remarked that he would really like a good view of an eagle - not too far away and for a goodish time. He took a flask and when we arrived at our lay-by, he sat in the car having a coffee while I got out and scanned the loch. Common sandpipers were still present, and soon came the faint call of a greenshank.

I don't know why I turned round, but as I did so a movement above the ridge caught my eye and I gabbled out "This is big Greger!" He scrambled out of the car and we both stood watching as a hooded crow mobbed a golden eagle just above Knockan Crag.


Greger got this shot before the eagle finally turned and vanished behind the crag.


Talk about getting your wish! We then drove through the camp-site on the way back to the chalet so that Greger could show me how full it was - with Germans. He had counted twenty-two German-registered camper vans, most of them pretty big and all of them with satellite dishes. I've never seen the site so full. It can't have been a coincidence; they must have been travelling together. A convoy. Now that would be a sight for sore eyes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?