Sunday, October 12, 2014


This is Achnahaird Bay taken from the lay-by in fine drizzle yesterday. I don't know whether it had been a spring tide, but it's the highest I've ever seen the water level here; and it had evidently been higher as the tide was going out.


I decided to count the golden plover and put the number on my BirdTrack "casual" records. There were only seventeen today, with twenty-two starlings and only one dunlin.

Earlier, I'd walked across the cliffs to the beach but again, I couldn't get near them that way without disturbing them. Another dead sheep was lying near the dunes.


Actually it was there a couple of days ago, so it's odd that it hasn't been scavenged, considering all the gulls and the two ravens nearby. The sand was gradually claiming the carcass, giving it a desiccated appearance.

Two whooper swans were fast asleep on Loch Raa. One raised its head wearily when a noisy lorry went past, but soon lowered it and dozed off again. Exhausted new arrivals, perhaps. Two long-tailed ducks were in the bay.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?