Sunday, April 05, 2015


We went for a drive late yesterday to look at the frogspawn, and got a glimpse of two newts in the ditch.

Today I returned and got an even briefer glimpse of just one. Frogs were croaking everywhere, and on one loch-side I heard an even louder croak which I was sure must be a bird; however, I tracked it down to two toads, which slipped under the water as I approached. I saw a bank vole disappear into a hole, and a large V of geese went over to the west giving nasal calls, too high for me to ID. I saw my first butterfly of the year.

Any birders up on Cul Mor late afternoon might have spotted the black-throated diver flying past. Wish I'd been up there - I'd rather see birds from a hill than from a lay-by.


Descending into Ullapool I stopped to take a photo of the "haar" (sea mist). The ghostly boat is the first visiting cruise-ship of the season (the Marco Polo).


The mist lay along the loch and out to sea. Greger, going for an exercise walk up Ullapool Hill, rose above it and enjoyed sunshine, as I had for much of the day. It's nearly 11 pm and the mist has now crept into the town and blotted out the stars.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?