Friday, July 24, 2015


Four common sandpipers were present on the river spit on Wednesday, including this juvenile.


This juvenile (meadow?) pipit was at Knockan Crag yesterday in gale-force winds and drizzle.


A male stonechat was in the heather carrying food; and fledged willow warblers were being fed in nearby birches. On the way home I scanned the reedy pool and spotted a redshank - my first for some time.

The tadpoles were in a ditch in the Inverlael Forest this afternoon, when we had some sunshine after a rainy morning.


Back home in the garden a froghopper was in the mint.


It was about 5 or 6 mm long. Once, in our Taplow garden, I put my finger carefully under a leaf where one was sitting - and I actually felt it push off as it jumped away. They were studied by Professor M. Burrows, and found to have phenomenal acceleration and to generate a G-force of 400 gravities (info above my head but found on a BBC website).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?