Sunday, September 20, 2015


Two days ago I spotted a possible barred warbler in our neighbours' rowan tree. I thought it unlikely it would still be around today but hoped that if it was, it would fly into our garden - and that's exactly what happened!

I hobbled hurriedly out the back door with my walking-stick and looked through the side gate into the front garden. The bird looked a little like a lesser whitethroat (which would also have been a good bird for me in Scotland).


The warbler disappeared and I went indoors, only to see it again from the office; so I took a few more pics through the window. It was mostly in the willow and the adjacent rowan.


It soon disappeared again; but still watching for it a couple of hours later, I noticed a tiny bird hovering and whizzing round in the willow. My first thought was a crest, but when the bird presented its profile to me I could see a yellow supercilium reaching to well behind the eye. My first-ever yellow-browed warbler! Several days later, I was about to trash the pictures I'd snapped off hopefully into the willow, only to realise that I'd just caught part of the bird at the top of one.
⬇︎

Hugely cropped and very poor, the picture does at least show the double wing bars and the long supercilium.  It was a frustratingly brief view I had of this bird, but I shouldn't complain after seeing two new warblers - and both in our Ullapool garden! 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?