Thursday, November 19, 2015


My car is home again. The service cost less than £100, and the MOT was free (in light of the fact my car was bashed up while in their care). I tried a tentative drive to Ardmair and my knee coped okay. I'd hoped for snow buntings on the camp-site but couldn't see any; so in the afternoon I walked along the Ullapool River and found a consolatory firecrest.

I got drenched by a downpour and the light was abysmal; but I had a strong impression that two firecrests were present. One was moving low through gorse and brambles, uttering a long, shivering trill that I haven't heard before. Simultaneously, it seemed to me, a second bird was answering from higher up, and further away. Later, watching one in branches above me, I saw it join another bird and they flew off together; although I didn't see that bird well and can't swear it was a firecrest.

Firecrest was one of the species I thought I would miss in moving north. Others are lesser spotted woodpecker, Montagu's harrier, and woodlark; but I don't think there's much chance of those turning up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?