Thursday, March 28, 2019


Driving out into Coigach, I rounded a bend to see ahead of me half a dozen sheep, lying in a line on the verge and chewing the cud, all facing me and several with one hoof dangerously dangling into the road. They looked so contented, and so daft, that I almost stopped for a picture - but I knew what would happen. The moment I stopped they would stare at the car and pause in their chewing, and then, if I got out, they would heave themselves up in alarm and scatter. I left them in peace.

The beach and salt-marsh were deserted today (people-wise), in a ferocious cold wind that made walking difficult. A flock of twenty-three ringed plovers sped around and landed nearby, and among them was a single sanderling.


Is it listening or looking for movement in the ground? Perhaps a bit of both.



On a rough sea in the bay were razorbills, black guillemots, one guillemot, a shag, a red-throated diver - and a great northern diver catching crabs.


Twenty-three lapwings and a bunch of starlings were on the southwest-facing fields.

Along the road leading down to Old Dornie harbour I stopped to watch a buzzard rise from the ground with a probable vole in its talons; and then something flew past me with a flash of white - my first wheatear of the year!


I think this one's different enough to be a second individual.


Singing was also heard - although this was faint, flung away in all directions by the insane wind.

Driving out, I rounded a bend where the road runs through trees, only to be confronted by the impressive sight of a white-tailed sea eagle hanging in the sky.


I zipped into a passing place on the wrong side of the road, mindful that the school bus was due back about now, and snapped off a couple of shots as the eagle passed slowly over me. Fortunately, no-one came along in the few minutes this took.


Back in Ullapool, I was surprised to see the ferry coming in. Must have been a rough crossing. The younger one was still around, but I think this is the adult (or near-adult) Iceland gull.


I went home feeling wind-battered and exhausted, but it's always a good day when you've seen your first wheatear of spring!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?