Thursday, August 15, 2019


It was windy but mostly sunny up the quarry road. A female common hawker settled on the ground near a boggy area.


A male common hawker was also present.


He hovered near me for a while and must have caught something which I couldn't see, because he immediately landed on me to eat it! A wing protrudes from the dragonfly's mouthparts while a couple of reddish legs can be seen on my T-shirt behind him.


There were also common darters (I think); but I couldn't relocate the northern emerald on this third time of trying and, unusually, there were no golden-ringed dragonflies to be seen. A sound like a young raptor begging for food was heard, and a probable merlin flew over. The trees were alive with sleek, yellow, willow warblers - presumably this year's birds.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?