Wednesday, October 23, 2019


Greger's trying to throw off a cough-and-cold he's had for over two weeks, so we drove to Achnahaird for a short walk; but it was a windy and frustrating day, notable more for its sheep antics than any bird sightings.

I spotted this ewe on her back in the distance and thought at first she was dead; then her legs kicked feebly and she was still again. Greger thought he should go and tell the farmer, but it was a long walk back and I said we ought to be able to right her between us. (My dad told me about this many years ago, but I've never seen a sheep in this plight until today and I thought at the time that he was pulling my leg.)


As we approached, she began to struggle with fear and baaed a little, but clearly couldn't get up. Greger put his hands under her and gently rolled her; and she stumbled to her feet. She was bloated and a bit unsteady, but she headed for a small group of ewes that had been anxiously watching. (At least, they were certainly watching, and it's easy to imagine they were anxious about their companion even if it's not quite true!)


A medium-sized raptor glided across the salt-marsh and disappeared over by the chalet and plantation; then a small wader flew high up the river to the side of the marsh. Next, a plover (probably golden) was seen flying fast above the back of the beach; and finally a small raptor dashed past before we could do anything sensible.


Merlin? Dunno - so here's some more sheep action.

One ewe seemed determined to cross the river to reach the salt-marsh, although halfway across she stopped and looked back at her mates (or lambs?).....


.....who were - yes, anxiously watching.


Once she'd reached the far bank safely the second one crossed cautiously, while the third, on finding herself left behind, threw herself into the water in a panic and part-ran, part-leapt her way across. On reaching dry land, they all shook themselves like dogs; but I only got this on video, which I can't post on my blog, so this is a screen-shot.


Next time I have a free day, I'm going sheep-watching - maybe then, I'll see some birds.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?