Friday, November 08, 2019


Seven of eleven waxwings on top of the ash tree in the morning sun just had to be snapped.....


.....because any day now, they'll be gone.

We drove north and then east, and walked across moorland on a track white with frost, looking for crossbills. I got some distant shots of what I thought was a small flock, but it wasn't until I saw the pictures at home that I realised the small flock was a family, with at least three juveniles. There's certainly plenty of food for them, with many mature spruce carrying masses of cones.  


I assumed the bird on the top left was an adult female, but in this picture it seems to have a reddish rump, and a reddish tinge to the chest - so probably a male.


We made our way back to the high lonesome road, having enjoyed a quiet forest-and-moorland walk without meeting anyone.


If we move back south I'll be a lot warmer - but I'll never find again the glorious solitude I've known here.  

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?