Sunday, December 01, 2019


A walk round the river paths between showers on this cold day brought two goldcrests. Where the trees thinned out, I looked up to see a peregrine falcon flying high to the east - but it was soon lost to sight behind a tangle of branches. Now why, I wondered, couldn't it have done that fifteen minutes earlier when I was out in the open on the spit?! A bit further on, a brown bird came hurtling downstream and swerved up the far bank, dodging between trees at a speed you could hardly believe. A female sparrow-hawk presumably.

Yesterday was also cold but still and sunny, and we drove out to Achnahaird - where we saw very little. A great northern diver had caught a pretty large flatfish.


It tussled with the fish for some time, and Greger said he thought the fish escaped. Anyway, a few minutes later the diver surfaced closer to us with something more manageable. I wonder if this diver is my lunch companion from last winter? If it's a juvenile, then of course it can't be.


It was already quite late by now and despite the sunshine earlier, the light was now poor. Things should have been done to ISO settings and weren't. Will I ever get to grips with my camera or will it forever remain on Auto?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?