Wednesday, March 03, 2021

It was quite a bit colder today, and I took a brisk walk round the village. A skylark was a first for the year; I almost missed it as it crept around on the waste ground of the bull park.


The bar-tailed godwit was on the golf-course spit - with oystercatchers, as usual. I first saw this wader on February 17th, but I know it had been seen several days before that; so I suppose it could soon be described as the long-staying godwit.

A great northern diver was far out on the loch, and three even more distant auks looked like guillemots. Two common scoter were present.


Awful shot, but I can never resist them. I like scoters. I haven't had enough scoters in my life. Living near the sea for seven years has been wonderful - but it's becoming clear that, in moving back to the south of England, we won't be able to afford to live near the coast. Think of all the lucky bastards who live there and have no interest in birds - shouldn't be allowed!

As I walked back home along the main road, a bird flew across and landed on a trunk - a treecreeper. I don't think I've ever seen one fly across a road before. Why did the treecreeper cross the road? Not to be photographed by me, that's for sure. I made a complete hash of it.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?