Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Yesterday: The golden eagles were far away - possibly 7 or 8 kilometres - and one at least of them was an immature bird.


In fact my walk could be called a story of pairings. These stonechats were back on their breeding territory, and I heard a little of the male's song.


Somewhere down near the quarry, out of sight from the hill path, a mistle thrush was singing. Later I saw a pair at a distance, foraging in the sheep field - my first of the year.

There was frogspawn in one of the puddles. I don't know what the white stuff is that's surrounding some of the eggs - when I googled it, all I could find was mention of white in the centre of the egg, which means they haven't been fertilised. Perhaps it's some kind of fungus.


Even if it's not, no doubt this puddle will dry up again and the tadpoles will die. Still, if the frogs don't care, why should I?

A pair of buzzards flew over me calling and on the ridge to the north, ravens were active. I enjoyed my walk, and the rain kindly kept off until I'd reached home.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?