Monday, April 05, 2021

It's been a madhouse here with gale-force winds all night and most of today, and a mixture of rain, sleet, hail, and snow - much of the time horizontal. I suffered one shower of hail down by the loch, which gradually turned to sleet. The1st winter Iceland was among herring gulls at the spit. I stood behind a gorse bush and clicked off a few shots.

There were ringed plover and turnstone foraging in the seaweed, and my heart leapt when I caught sight of a nicely coloured back, thinking it was my first dunlin of the year. It moved closer to a second bird, and I realised that they were golden plover.


I didn't move, but they'd clearly seen me and the next instant they were airborne with two other waders (possibly also golden plover). I was mortified to have flushed them, particularly in such vile weather, and could only hope they went down on the golf-course or the Morefield crofts.

Just as I thought this, a familiar call announced the arrival of a greenshank. It flew a little way along the river and landed at the end of a stony island - right where it could see me, behind my gorse bush!


Sure enough it soon took off - but at least it went up the loch, and probably went down again between the spit and the camp-site point. I trudged home in falling snow, mindful that I should be more careful at the spit; like the other "usual" waders, dunlin tolerate you being there, but the plovers were much more wary.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?