Friday, July 23, 2021

We're having some warm sunny weather at last. On a village walk today I saw a rather tattered Small Copper butterfly in the dog-walking field (actually, I think it's called the Mill Field).

At the other end of the field, a sedge warbler looked as though it had designs on the raspberries.


Nearly two weeks ago, an Azure Hawker was hunting over bog myrtle up the very dusty quarry road....


.....so I had hopes of seeing both this and the Northern Emerald on the same walk. But I've been up there loads of times since then and still not seen one - and now the Azures have disappeared from both this site and the one above the Braes. Yesterday, I counted 25 Dark Green Fritillaries above the lower quarry; but if I do the Big Butterfly Count this year, I think I'll do it in the garden as the buddleia is just coming out.

This Common Darter corresponds to one featured on british-dragonflies.org.uk and labelled "over-mature female"......


.....which is an apt description of how I feel.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?