Friday, September 17, 2021

I spent yesterday in an exhausting and fruitless search for the Sabine's gull I'd seen from Rhue. There are days when the topography of Ullapool can drive you insane - and this was one of those days. Undaunted, I started again this morning. Greger was happy as usual to drive to Inverness on his own, because then he can listen en route to one of the translations he's bought for practising his Spanish - "El perro de los Baskerville" - so I had all day.

Once again I started by driving down to the harbour and having a walk; I then drove to West Terrace and had a walk to the spit - and there I struck gold. Across the river, a small dark-hooded gull was among the mob on the golf-course spit - but some shuffling among the larger gulls resulted in the Sabine's taking wing. I thought it had gone down again out of sight - so I returned to the car, drove round to Morefield, and walked along the river to the golf course, where I could scan the whole spit. This brought nothing at all. The gull had obviously flown off. I went home, ate a hasty sandwich, and did the whole round again. Somewhere along the edge of the golf course, it began to rain - and I began to swear. Returning to the spit, I noticed that some gulls had flown up the river and were bathing. One was very small.....


Hooray! I sat down on the steep shingle bank and clicked off a few shots, pausing now and then to wipe raindrops off the lens. The Sabine's meanwhile was having a vigorous wash.


It then flew onto a sea-weedy island.


And finally returned to the much diminished spit as the tide rolled inexorably in.


The picture above makes me laugh. I think the gulls swung their heads round in response to two ladies who were enjoying a round of golf behind me. They didn't half natter! They talked while walking between holes, they talked while teeing off, they talked while walking to the green, and they talked while putting. Fortunately, the gulls didn't seem bothered by my head poking out above a rose bush - but then I was keeping quiet!


I've been moaning lately that I haven't had a good bird for ages; well, an adult Sabine's gull - even if its breeding plumage is fading a bit - is much, much more than "good"!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?