Friday, July 08, 2022

Soft rain drizzled on us as we walked down to the harbour; and up on the deck we had to mop off the seats before we could sit down. As we set off the weather improved; there were a few sunny spells and the visibility was good - although later a strong, cool wind made it difficult to hold bins and camera still.  A couple of fulmars flew close to the ferry and kept pace with us for some time.


On the short deck below us there was a group of birders, and at one point I heard their leader call out "Storm petrel". I could have glanced down to see where they were looking but I still like to "find my own". Which, however, I failed to do! While Greger was down having a coffee I spotted a skua; probably Arctic, though I couldn't be sure. There were rafts of guillemots and a handful of razorbills, with plenty of puffins whizzing about - which was reassuring - while live gannets were available in various plumages. In Stornoway harbour, at least seven common terns were seen.

On the return trip we spotted four Manx shearwaters. Two flying close together were in sight for longer than the others; their flight sometimes seemed synchronised, but probably wasn't. They were a joy to watch.


Back among the Summer Isles we saw a couple of great skuas, while a tern in the far distance will have to go down as a commic. There was no white-tailed eagle action in the harbour this time, so I snapped the latest cruise ship to visit Ullapool.

This was the Seven Seas Voyager, on a 12-day cruise from Belfast to Southampton. The only thing that could attract me to going on a cruise is the thought of the potential birding that could be done!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?