Thursday, August 03, 2023

It's a wet day with mist over the hills, so we've stayed in and carried out various domestic tasks - such as watching Greger's latest gadget, a robot vacuum cleaner, doing the hoovering. Oops, I s'pose that should read "doing the samsunging".

Looking at my latest post, I realise that it was rather misleading. You'd think that I'd spotted some Risso's dolphins and taken some record shots of them - but the fact is, I'd no idea what they were at the time! Back in April I took some pics of big splashes far out, wondering if they could indicate whale activity; and when I looked at the few photos I'd managed, I was amazed to see a probable Risso's in one of them. This time, I again saw lots of splashing - more, I felt, than is usually made by common dolphins - and wondered once more if it could be a whale. However as I clicked off half-a-dozen pictures I thought I could see, through my less-than-perfect viewfinder, several fins - and assumed that they were common dolphins after all. When I uploaded the photos I was again amazed to see Risso's dolphins in them!

My memory of the first sighting was faulty as I'd thought it was closer to Stornoway. They were both recorded on the outward journey, with the April one timed at 11.55 and this one at 12.37; so these dolphins were closer to Stornoway - and incidentally much closer to the ferry. I'm now in the daft position of having twice posted pictures of Risso's dolphins on my blog, while being unable to claim I've ever actually seen one!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?