Wednesday, November 01, 2023

 Yesterday: A walk round at Ardmair brought a distant common scoter.


The scoter appeared to be heading into Loch Kanaird, but I lost sight of it; and a drive round to the Isle Martin jetty for further scanning proved fruitless.

I'm using stormy weather to trawl through my unwieldy blog for errors and unresolved issues. For instance: In March this year I had a moan about a sign on the wind-farm road, telling us to keep out; and blamed the landowner for getting high-handed. However, I've since seen these signs in other locations, e.g. building sites, and forestry roads while there is tree-felling. Meanwhile, the sign on the wind-farm road has disappeared, so it must have been a temporary closure to walkers. Oops. In April 2022, I took some pictures of a great black-backed gull in Ullapool harbour with what I thought was a puncture in its throat and a crustacean's claw or leg poking through. I've since learnt that birds can suffer from an oral fistula (there's an item about it in the latest RSPB magazine), and the pink object protruding from the gull's throat could in fact be its tongue. Then there are all those "glaucous" gulls on my blog which might well be vikings.....that will be a mammoth task. I think I'll need to be snowed-in for that!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?