Thursday, November 23, 2023

After a morning of domestic stuff, I drove to Ardmair on this rainy, windy day although the light by then was already poor. There were a few gulls dip-feeding along the edge of the waves, but before I could look at them properly another squall hit, with hard rain that was almost hail, and the wind driving bits of seaweed over the road and shaking the car. When it eased off I opened the window and saw among the larger gulls two black-headed - and beyond them, a bird with clean white wings. It landed on the water for a bit of a wash and proved to be a Mediterranean gull.



I thought that a juvenile with a dark W-marking might be a little gull but it was probably a kittiwake; I'll go back tomorrow when the light's better and hope they're all still there. Back in Ullapool, loads of gulls were making use of the new pontoons and a pied wagtail strutted along the pavement.  

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?