Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Greger is housebound with a very bad cough. He's been urging me to go out birding as much as possible, and so far I've been staying close to home. Today, however, once I'd done the shopping, I drove out to the Coigach area. There was a dusting of new snow on the tops of the Coigach and Assynt hills, and the wind was chilly; but the sky was mostly blue and there was a fair bit of sunshine. Two golden plover on sodden ground near the dunes were my first for the year. I wish I could have produced a photo to do them justice, but I never get a crisp shot on green/yellow grassy ground (she says, as if she gets crisp shots the rest of the time).


I backtracked a bit and turned to walk through the middle of the dunes, so as not to disturb them. A couple of wheatears were on the machair.


The other side of the headland produced a displaying wheatear and three common scoter - and a dead guillemot on the wide grassy strip above the beach. Five whooper swans were on Loch Raa.

Driving back out to the main road I parked by the plantation and walked back to look at the snipe pool. Two bog bean plants were in bud.....


.....and as I snapped one of them, the call of a snipe came from the loch behind me. Some call it the "chipper", others the "chipping" call; either way it was really good to hear it again.

Further on, where the road widens out with a long passing place, I glanced over the short grass at the side of the road and remembered, a few years back, seeing a golden plover there. And wasn't that a plover standing against the water right now? 


Other birds noted: a pair of shelduck, a buzzard, skylarks, meadow pipits, and several willow warblers singing. I called in at Tesco for a few things I'd forgotten this morning, and got home to find Greger worse. I think it's bronchitis, which he's suffered from before. The good news is that he hasn't lost his appetite, and we broke our rule of alcohol at weekends only and had a couple of glasses of white wine with our dinner.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?