Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Day 12 of the flu - and it was much too nice a day to stay indoors. A visit to what I think of as the eternal bogs in hopes of an azure hawker, brought instead a female northern emerald dragonfly - a welcome sighting, as I failed to see one last year.




But this wasn't my first trip out during my latest bout of flu. On day 6, Greger suggested he drive me somewhere for a short walk, so we went first to Loch Glascarnoch - where we were entertained by swooping house martins, back to breed on the dam. We drove on to Silverbridge, where I felt well enough to do the round river walk.  Towards the end of the walk, Greger pointed out our first spotted flycatcher of the year. I paid for this outing on days 7 and 8, when I felt worse and slept for much of the time; but on day 9 I was restless again and we drove out to Achnahaird. When Greger pulled into a passing place to make way for an oncoming car, I glanced across at one of the drainage pools by the side of the road and saw some tiny white flowers. We went on to have our usual walk across the beach and machair; it was almost dead, and the only good thing was back near the car park where we heard a snipe "chipping" from the long grass.

Yesterday, I drove out there again; I didn't bother with the beach but walked over the cliffs in the opposite direction, as there was some dolphin activity farther out. On the drive back I found a parking place and walked on along the road to the pool for another look at the flowers, which I'd learnt were water lobelia.




Bog cotton was growing at the far end of the pool, its fluffy white seed-heads much larger and more conspicuous than the lobelia; but tiny though they are, there's an appealing exuberance to the lobelia flowers and a raggedy quality rather like bogbean. Each is found (as far as I can tell) in only one of these roadside pools. Growing in a tangle with the lobelia were (I think) northern deergrass (which is actually a sedge) and a sprawling, yellow flower which might be lesser spearwort. 


The weather was lovely, and although there had been no birds of note I walked back to the car quite content with my day.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?