Friday, August 09, 2024

Yesterday: Four great northern divers were spotted from Achnahaird. One was in breeding plumage, the others were probably juveniles.


On the drive out, I spotted a red-throated diver and its chick on one of the lochs, and snapped them from a passing place.



My first juvenile dunlin of the year was on the sand at Badentarbat together with at least two adults; and a flash of white on the far side of Loch Raa turned out this time to be a heron. There was activity round the nesting site of colletes bees on the low cliffs near Achnahaird beach. I've also recently seen these bees (at least, I presume they're the same species) feeding on heather near the masts at the Braes - probably on the same day (6th August) that I spotted a crossbill, again in spruce.


The bird appears to be a little streaky - so maybe a young one; but although it seemed to be looking down now and then, I couldn't see any other crossbills feeding on the cones below. 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?