Wednesday, September 18, 2024

 ðŸŽµ "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" (U2).....

.....and it isn't for want of trying. Several times I've driven out to Achnahaird, been over east, sailed on the ferry - hoping for waders and shearwaters, in places and at times I've seen them before. Result - next to nothing. So when Greger suggested a pelagic for today I immediately agreed (surely shearwater numbers would be building by now?) and off we went.

On the trip out, Greger pointed to a flock of c25 birds flying in the distance which he thought could be Manx shearwaters. I had reservations, but I think maybe he was right. If so, they were the only shearwaters we saw. The best thing about the first leg was a number of whale blows out to the north, where the horizon was shimmering in a sort of heat haze. The blows were terrific, and we're fairly sure that one or two of them were those of fin whales.

At Stornoway, the old faithful flew in and landed on the "rigging" to check the deck below for crumbs.


Just as I was saying to Greger that it was always one bird and presumably the same one - a second hoodie did a flypast right over us. Oops.

On the return trip, an Arctic (pretty sure of this) skua flew alongside the boat.


There was a little more whale activity, with repeated blows seen far out near a fishing boat. I then saw something large closer to us which I think was a humpback (pictures too awful to post, even for me!).

Back among the Summer Isles, a man pointed out two white-tailed eagles circling above a ridge.


Last night I cheered up when I went out to look at the supermoon, although I wasn't intending to wait up for the partial eclipse; and as I stood admiring it, there came from over the back wall the lovely sound of a male tawny owl. In the ten years we've lived here, we've heard tawnies from the house on just a few occasions, usually in autumn or towards the end of the year. Then I heard a scratching sort of sound, and fetched a torch. Walking carefully round the bungalow I saw a rounded dark hump that didn't belong there, and went back inside to tell Greger we had a hedgehog which he could see from the bedroom window. This again, is by no means an annual occurrence, so we were quite excited. And as I went to close the back door, the sharp call of a female tawny came from the neighbour's garden. I stood there for a while, hoping to see one of the owls in flight - but had to give up in the end. Finally, I walked into the bathroom to see the first large spider of the autumn on the floor. He fitted neatly into the plastic beaker I keep for the purpose, and with a thin piece of cardboard slid underneath I carried him out to the porch and let him go. I suppose that's three species of wildlife for the evening - although I can't say the third one brought me the same joy as the other two!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?