Monday, July 27, 2026

In the midst of domestic tasks, I noticed the sun had come out so I ventured into the garden for a break - just in time to see a white-tailed eagle flying towards me from the east, escorted by a corvid. The latter turned back above me and flew back, and a second eagle followed the first. 


There were few insects in the garden so here are a few more notable ones spotted previously throughout July. It took me a long time to pin down this species, but I'm confident now it's a barred yellow macro moth.

This little creature is a Calocoris roseomaculatus - one of the mirid bugs - settled on an ox-eye daisy. 


I saw this insect only fleetingly, grabbed a shot and didn't bother to look for it again, thinking it was yet another unidentifiable hoverfly. But viewing the photo, I was intrigued by the green underparts and finally decided it was a kind of sawfly - possibly Tenthredo mesomela. Once again, the excellent assyntwildlife website comes up trumps with an image of a similar if not identical sawfly, labelled Tenthredo sp. - so I know I'm in the right area.


A large, plump, black fly seen first from behind on the spiraea was, I suspected, a giant tachinid fly; fortunately it flew to another flowerhead and showed its face.

 

I've seen these flies in several places while out walking, but this was a first for the garden. Also recorded here in July: painted lady, dark green fritillary, green lacewing, tapered drone fly, and hawthorn shield bug. Meanwhile, my research into the mystery plant seen on my small-hill walk draws me into deeper and deeper waters. For instance, hawkweeds are a nightmare! I've stumbled across a contemporary Facebook page devoted entirely to this genus, likewise an archived (from 1970) article titled "Notes on the Hawkweeds of western Scotland". Blimey. There are loads of them! I got excited when I saw one section on "West Ross" - but alas, my insignificant little hill wasn't mentioned. They do however list a hill in the Coigach area, on which was found "a formidable assembly" of no fewer than 24 species of hawkweed! And I'm not even sure that my plant was a hawkweed, as it wasn't in flower at the time. I think I can rule out willow herbs - though only to replace them with forgetmenots. Suffice it to say I would be content to id this plant to genus level - I think it's all I can realistically hope for.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?