Wednesday, August 12, 2026
A painted lady in the garden today had the pristine appearance of an individual bred here this summer, compared with the raggedy appearance of the one I snapped back in May which was almost certainly a migrant.
Yesterday, we went on the ferry. We had two tantalising glimpses of Minke whale while sheer spectacle was provided by large rafts of auks and kittiwakes. We saw several bonxies and a handful of sooty shearwaters, but though I snapped dolphins whenever I could it wasn't until I uploaded the photos that I realised these particular individuals weren't commons.....
.....the tall sickle fins and pale colouring suggesting Risso's. The ferry was busy in both directions, and once again people wandered around with their dogs, watching them sniff at the seats and then lift their legs and urinate on them. As if dogs can't go for two and a half hours without weeing - when they probably spend a lot longer than that at home while their owners are at work. In any case, with a male, they are more than likely just marking out their territory. Never sit on the end seat of the row!


